What is a Website?
A website is a collection of interlinked web pages typically hosted from a single domain. A website is accessible over the internet or a private network such as Local Area Network (LAN) through an address known as Uniform Resource Locator (URL).
The URLs organize the web pages into a hierarchical form which help a user to navigate through the pages. A home page is included that usually is the starting point of all navigation artifacts, including links to other pages, an “About Us” page, or a “Contact Us” page.
Static vs Dynamic Website
- A static website is composed of web pages the content of which remains constant until a developer wishes to alter.
- The information on a static website remains the same throughout.
- A static website may consist of plain text or rich media. However, on visiting a static site, you will see the same content at all times irrespective of the time of visit.
- On the other hand, a dynamic website updates itself frequently depending on a set of parameters.
- In other words, a dynamic website’s content is renewed every time a user visits the website.
- A dynamic web page is created using a wide range of software and languages such as, Java Server Pages (JSP), Active Server Pages (ASP), PHP, Python, Perl, etc.
Also Read: 10 Things to Consider When Building Your Web Portal
Websites of the 90s had only textual content on them. With the evolution in multimedia and other design elements, images, audio, video, and interactivity to mimic a desktop application started appearing on websites.
Also Read: 10 Things to Look for in a Web Application Development Company
If you want to create a website, Please Consult with us. We will definitly help you. Here you can more infromation below:
What is a Web Portal?
A web portal is a customized website that immerses information from a wide array of sources in a consistent and uniformed manner.
For example, web portals are served in the form of dashboards for company executives and managers. How the content on a portal should be organized and presented depends largely on the requirements of the end users?
A web portal may be customized based on the restrictions of domain searches. An enterprise portal usually has a consistent design and has the capability to interact with applications and databases.
Also Read: Enterprise Portals: Bringing Your Business into the FutureTypes of Web Portals
There are various types of web portals depending on the usage and content restrictions. Some of them are:
- Government and federal portals
- Corporate and enterprise portals
- Cultural and trade portals
- Stock and financial portals
- Search portals
- Tender and bidding portals
- Domain specific portals
Also Read: How to Make an Ecommerce Portal That Hooks Your Customers
Web Portal Development - Things to Consider
A programmer embarking on web portal development has to consider many factors before a portal can be made available for consumption, either internally or externally. From a developer’s perspective, there are many things to balance, such as, design vs platform, stability vs early build, and standards vs business goals, to name a few.
Before starting a web portal development initiative, you as a developer need to keep the following in mind before kickstarting your project:
User Experience and Interface
- Cross browser compatibility
- Device compatibility, for examples, tablets, smartphones, etc.
- Section 508 compliance
- Seamless updates and patches
- Friendly error messages and proper exception handling
- Progressive enhancement
- Prevention of SQL injections and intrusions
- Failsafe password encryption
- Two factor authentication
- SSL/HTTPS for secure login
- Avoiding cross site scripting
- Keeping your system protected with the latest virus definitions and software patches
- Proper usage of caching
- Image and media content optimization
- Cookie management
- Minimizing the amount of HTTP requests
- Usage of search engine friendly URLs
- Proper sitemap of the portal
- Proper link nomenclature
- Know how search engine spiders work
Also Read: The Importance of CSS in Web Portal Development
Are you Looking for Different Portal? We deliver the most effective and affordable web portals to push your business to the next level of excellence. Get in touch to help us know your requirement. Please Consult with us. Also Visit our CLIENT PORTFOLIO.